Thursday, December 20, 2012

Delivery

We were up pretty early on Thursday morning, and the nurses were kind enough to allow me to take a shower.  It's amazing how good it feels, especially when you haven't been allowed to for a bit of time!  I have to put a plug in for the most amazing husband - it's mine.  He has been so helpful and patient and kind to not only me, but all the nurses and staff that we have had helping us.  He always amazes me with his solicitousness.  I finally got to have my catheter taken out - they hadn't wanted me to even have to get up to go to the bathroom the previous 2 days.  I also hadn't eaten anything but about 3-4 popsicles for the past two days, as they hadn't known for sure when I would deliver and didn't want anything in my stomach.

I must admit, I wasn't too scared or worried about the c-section, just ready to go and give my baby a fighting chance at life.  They gave me the spinal block - a shot into the spine to numb you up from your belly down.  I wasn't able to have the morphine that usually goes with it - as I'm allergic.  Things went great, and baby Marshall came out kicking and crying at 7:49 am, December 20, 2012 - 14 ounces and 10.5 inches long.  I got to see him for about 2 seconds before they rushed him away to the NICU.  Tyler was taking pictures during the process and the anesthesiologist commented to him that he must have a morbid curiosity.  He replied that he knew I would be curious later.  Shortly afterward, they brought a mirror so that I could watch over the blanket that was shielding me from the view of what was going on.  I do have a morbid curiosity, and find it amazing what the doctors can do and the attributes of the human body are quite miraculous!

Once they were finished sewing me up, they took us into the NICU and we got to see Marshall.  He looked beautiful, and I ached to hold him!  He is the best Christmas present ever, in a tiny package accompanied by a huge lesson on miracles!





1 comment: